My name is Dave Wadleigh, I am 27, and I’ve been skiing for my whole life. I am originally from Vermont, and spent my early years riding the slopes of Bolton Valley, Smugglers Notch, and Jay Peak. A few years back I decided to chase the snow (or sometimes lack of), and big mountains to Utah, and now Lake Tahoe, California. I spend my winters coaching for the Big Mountain Ski Team at Squaw Valley, and filming with a talented group of skiers under the name Janky Films. To me, filming is a pure and artistic genre of skiing, and I can’t get enough of it. I have always enjoyed and been inspired by ski videos, and I strive to create media that will do the same for others. Keep an eye out for upcoming Janky Films edits, especially the footage that we will be shooting in Japan this season!
I can’t thank the Ryan Hawks Foundation enough for their help in my pursuit of this dream, and Ryan for his friendship and inspiration!
My Core Values
- Be a good son, relative, and friend.
- Surround myself with good, positive people who help me be the best possible version of myself. Help them be the best possible versions of themselves too.
- Hold onto my dreams, and work very hard to achieve them.
- Pursue goals/paths of passion and meaning. Don't let money dictate them.
- Don't be deterred by failure, adversity, or people with a negative/contradictory attitude. Believe in myself and don't give up.
- Work for positive change and have a positive effect on the world and the things I love. (Have a lasting positive effect on the sport of big mountain/freeride)
- Stay positive, and find the bright of any situation. Take a deep breath, look at the big picture, and remember how good life really is.
- Remember to have fun!
Meet More Scholars
The Foundation has awarded more than 150 Adventure Scholarships to people who have a dream, believe in the Core Values Matter philosophy and were able to demonstrate financial need. Our Adventure Scholars are a distinctive group of students, athletes, and others. We believe you'll find someone here you can identify with, or perhaps you will help us make this outstanding team of individuals even more diverse and inclusive.See All Adventure Scholars