My name is Eli Derrick. I heard about the Flyin Ryan Foundation and Ryan Hawks when I was 10. We were in Vermont on a family ski vacation and hearing about Ryan Hawks and his core values was really inspiring to me. As my ski career has progressed I worked to develop my own core values and to constantly apply them to my life. I fell in love with Skicross racing around the same time that I heard about Ryan. I started racing as an alpine competitor but I just didn’t love it the same way I loved skiing all over the mountain. From my first Ski Cross race I fell in love with the sport. When I turned 16 I decided to move to Maine during the winter to pursue competition on the FIS / NorAm circuit. Although I am from Virginia, But I immediately found a home in Maine.
READ – Eli’s Recommendation
READ – Eli’s Essay
My Core Values
- If I'm going to do something, I will do it all the way.
- Fully appreciate the opportunities that have been given to me.
- Being polite will always get you farther than arguing.
- Do what you love and love what you do.
- Always give 110%
- Everyone messes up, we're all human.
- There's always things to learn and improve on.
- Never let competing take joy out of skiing.
Meet More Scholars
The Foundation has awarded more than 150 Adventure Scholarships to people who have a dream, believe in the Core Values Matter philosophy and were able to demonstrate financial need. Our Adventure Scholars are a distinctive group of students, athletes, and others. We believe you'll find someone here you can identify with, or perhaps you will help us make this outstanding team of individuals even more diverse and inclusive.See All Adventure Scholars